Last updated on June 2, 2023
One of the most important pieces of equipment you’ll need for your softball season is a pair of cleats that can help you maintain your footing and generate power with each pitch. But with so many options on the market, it can be tough to know where to start. Not to mention making sure you stay “in-style”; and as a parent this isn’t always easy.
After researching and testing a variety of options, we’ve identified the top cleats for fastpitch softball pitchers. These cleats offer superior traction, comfort, and support, making them the perfect choice for any pitcher looking to up their game. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or just starting out, these cleats are sure to help you perform your best on the mound.
- 1 Best Cleats for Fastpitch Softball Pitchers
- 1.1 Mizuno Women’s Swift 5 Fastpitch Softball Cleat Shoe 5 Black/White
- 1.2 Mizuno Women’s 9-Spike Swift 7 Softball Shoe
- 1.3 Mizuno 9-Spike Advanced Finch Elite 5 TPU Molded Softball Cleat
- 1.4 Nike Lunar Hyperdiamond 3 Pro Metal Fastpitch Softball Cleats
- 1.5 New Balance Fresh Foam Velo V2 Molded Softball Shoe
- 1.6 Under Armour Women’s Glyde Mt Softball Shoe
- 1.7 Mizuno Softball Footwear Low Womens Metal Softball Cleat
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 FAQ
Best Cleats for Fastpitch Softball Pitchers
- The Mizuno Wave Technology provides the right amount of cushioning and stability.
- The 9-Spike outsole configuration is designed for superior comfort and built for aggressive traction.
- The padded “Booty” Tongue offers superior fit and comfort.
- Some customers have reported that the cleats run small and may require a larger size than usual.
- The sole is quite hard, which may require additional padding for some players.
- The reinforced toe may feel bulky to some players.
These cleats are developed to provide optimal fit and feel for fastpitch softball, allowing you to play aggressively with superior traction, cushioning, and stability. The Mizuno Wave Technology is a standout feature, providing the right amount of cushioning and stability to keep you comfortable and supported on the field. The 9-Spike outsole configuration is designed for superior comfort and built for aggressive traction, giving you the confidence to make quick, sharp movements.
However, some customers have reported that the cleats run small and may require a larger size than usual. Additionally, the sole is quite hard, which may require additional padding for some players. Finally, the reinforced toe may feel bulky to some players, which can be uncomfortable during long games.
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Softball-specific design for enhanced cushioning and comfort
- Durable synthetic outsole for added traction
- Some users reported that the cleats only last about a year
- A few users experienced issues with the stitching ripping out in the toe area
- May not be as reinforced in the toe area as some pitchers would like
These cleats are made with a 100% synthetic upper material and a breathable textile lining, making them lightweight and comfortable for all-day wear. The removable textile insole adds even more comfort for your feet. Plus, the easy lace closure ensures a secure fit.
The Mizuno Women’s 9-Spike Swift 7 Softball Shoe is gender-engineered for softball-specific movements, providing enhanced cushioning and ultimate comfort. The synthetic outsole also adds traction and durability, making these cleats a great choice for any softball pitcher.
While some users reported that the cleats only last about a year, others found them to be durable and long-lasting. A few users did experience issues with the stitching ripping out in the toe area, but this was not a common complaint.
- The synthetic upper is durable and easy to clean.
- The MIZUNO WAVE plate provides stability and cushioning.
- The translucent I-shaped TPU studs increase traction on multiple surfaces.
- The cleats may not be suitable for players with wide feet.
- The cleats may not be as durable as some other options on the market.
This cleat features a gender-engineered design that enhances comfort and cushioning for softball-specific movements. The removable textile insole adds to the overall comfort of the cleat. The padded bootie tongue ensures a superior fit, while the rib construction of the outsole provides stability, flexibility, and traction.
The Mizuno 9-Spike Advanced Finch Elite 5 TPU Molded Softball Cleat is a great choice for players who want a comfortable and stylish cleat that provides stability and traction on the field. However, it may not be the best option for players with wide feet or those who need a particularly durable cleat.
- Lightweight design for comfortable wear during long games
- Mesh overlay offers breathable support
- Reinforced toe for pitchers
- Limited color options
- May not provide enough support for players with foot or ankle issues
These cleats are designed to be both comfortable and supportive, with a flexible plate and rubber sole for quick movements on the field. The mesh overlay also offers breathability to keep your feet cool during long games. Plus, the reinforced toe is perfect for pitchers who need extra protection.
However, these cleats are only available in a limited range of colors, so you may not be able to find your preferred style. Additionally, while these cleats offer good support, they may not be the best choice for players with foot or ankle issues.
- The Fresh Foam midsole cushioning provides a lightweight and ultra-cushioned ride, keeping you comfortable throughout the longest games.
- The one-piece perforated upper offers a lightweight feel and enhanced breathability, keeping your feet cool and dry even during the hottest games.
- The TPU-molded cleat provides enhanced traction while remaining lightweight, helping you make quick and sharp movements around the diamond.
- Some customers have reported that the shoe runs small, so you may need to order a size up to ensure a proper fit.
- The molded cleats may wear down quickly, which could be a concern for those who play on rougher fields.
The New Balance Fresh Foam Velo V2 Molded Softball Shoe is designed with comfort and performance in mind. The Fresh Foam midsole cushioning is precision-engineered to deliver an ultra-cushioned, lightweight ride, helping you stay comfortable even during the longest games.
The one-piece perforated upper offers a lightweight feel and enhanced breathability, ensuring that your feet stay cool and dry even during the hottest games. The TPU-molded cleat provides enhanced traction while remaining lightweight, helping you make quick and sharp movements around the diamond.
However, some customers have reported that the shoe runs small, so you may need to order a size up to ensure a proper fit. Additionally, the molded cleats may wear down quickly, which could be a concern for those who play on rougher fields.
- The synthetic sole provides excellent traction and stability on the field.
- The shoes are made with Under Armour’s innovative technology, which ensures comfort and durability.
- The shoes are true to size and provide a great fit.
- Some customers have reported that the shoes fell apart after a few months of wear.
- The shoes are relatively expensive compared to other softball cleats on the market.
- The plastic pieces on the heel can be uncomfortable for some wearers.
The Under Armour Women’s Glyde Mt Softball Shoe is a great option for fastpitch softball pitchers who want a durable and comfortable shoe that provides excellent traction on the field. The synthetic sole ensures stability during pitching, while the innovative technology used in the design of the shoes ensures comfort during long games.
However, some customers have reported that the shoes fell apart after a few months of wear, which may be a concern for those who are looking for a long-lasting shoe. Additionally, the shoes are relatively expensive compared to other softball cleats on the market, which may be a factor for those on a budget. Finally, the plastic pieces on the heel can be uncomfortable for some wearers, which may make the shoes less than ideal for those who need a lot of support in that area.
- The cleat is gender-engineered to suit softball-specific movements, providing enhanced cushioning and ultimate comfort.
- The padded booty tongue adds an extra layer of comfort.
- The cleat is made of 100% synthetic material, making it durable and long-lasting.
- The cleat is only available in one color, which may not suit everyone’s preferences.
- The sizing may run large or small, so it’s important to try them on before purchasing.
Mizuno Softball Footwear Low Womens Metal Softball Cleat is a high-performing cleat that provides excellent comfort and support for fastpitch softball pitchers. The gender-engineered design ensures that the cleat is tailored to the specific movements of softball, providing enhanced cushioning and ultimate comfort. The padded booty tongue adds an extra layer of comfort, making it easier to wear for long periods of time.
One of the main advantages of this cleat is that it is made of 100% synthetic material, making it durable and long-lasting. This means that you can wear it for multiple seasons without worrying about the cleat breaking down or losing its shape.
However, the cleat is only available in one color, which may not suit everyone’s preferences. Also, the sizing may run large or small, so it’s important to try them on before purchasing.
When it comes to buying cleats for fastpitch softball pitching, there are a few things you should consider to ensure you get the best product for your needs.
First and foremost, you want to make sure your cleats are comfortable. You’ll be spending a lot of time on your feet, so you want to make sure the shoes fit well and don’t cause any discomfort or pain. Look for cleats with a cushioned insole and good arch support.
Traction is another important factor to consider. You want to make sure your cleats provide good grip on the field, especially if you’re pitching on a wet or slippery surface. Look for cleats with a rubber or molded sole that provides good traction.
Fastpitch softball can be tough on cleats, so you want to make sure you choose a durable pair that can withstand the wear and tear of the sport. Look for cleats made with high-quality materials that can hold up to repeated use.
While comfort, traction, and durability are the most important factors to consider, you also want to choose a pair of cleats that you feel good wearing. Look for a style that fits your personal taste and makes you feel confident on the field.
It’s important to choose the right size of cleats to ensure a comfortable fit. Make sure to measure your feet and refer to the manufacturer’s sizing chart before making a purchase. If you’re unsure about sizing, consider trying on a few different pairs before making a final decision.
What is the difference between metal and rubber cleats?
Metal cleats have metal spikes on the bottom, while rubber cleats have rubber or plastic spikes. Metal cleats provide better traction on dirt and grass, but they can be dangerous on harder surfaces like concrete. Rubber cleats provide good traction on a variety of surfaces and are generally safer than metal cleats.
Are metal cleats better for pitchers?
Metal cleats can provide better traction on soft surfaces like dirt and grass, which can be beneficial for pitchers. However, they can also be dangerous on harder surfaces and can cause injury. Ultimately, the choice between metal and rubber cleats comes down to personal preference, comfort, and safety.
Can you wear metal cleats in high school softball?
The rules for metal cleats in high school softball vary depending on the state and the specific league. Some leagues allow metal cleats, while others require rubber cleats. It’s important to check with your coach or league officials to determine the rules for your specific league.
What’s the difference between softball and baseball cleats?
While both sports share similarities, there are distinct variations in the design and features of their respective cleats. Softball cleats are designed with a narrower, more streamlined profile compared to baseball cleats. They typically feature a shorter ankle cut and provide better flexibility and agility for quick movements on the softball field. On the other hand, baseball cleats often have a higher ankle cut to provide additional support and stability for the lateral movements and sliding commonly found in baseball.
Hunter Tierney is a passionate writer, loving dad, and true sports fanatic. His experience helping his two daughters through softball, in addition to playing baseball at the collegiate level, gives him a fresh perspective on all things softball. He earned his business degree from the University of Phoenix where he also took writing and journalism courses.