Last updated on July 26, 2023
As the name suggests, a first baseman glove is designed specifically for the first baseman position and is larger than other gloves to provide more surface area for catching. When choosing a first baseman glove softball, it’s essential to consider the size, material, and webbing. The size of the glove should be appropriate for the player’s hand size and position. The material should be durable and comfortable to wear, with leather being the most common choice. The webbing is an essential feature that affects the player’s ability to catch and hold onto the ball.
A high-quality first baseman glove softball can make all the difference in a player’s performance on the field. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the best options on the market and help you choose the right one for your needs.
- 1 Best First Baseman Gloves for Softball
- 1.1 Rawlings Liberty Advanced Fastpitch Softball Glove
- 1.2 Rawlings Shut Out Softball Glove Series
- 1.3 Guerrero RL-35 First Base Mitt 14″ Right Hand Throw
- 1.4 Shoeless Joe Women’s Fastpitch Softball First Base Glove 13-Inch Right Hand Throw
- 1.5 Easton Professional Collection Fastpitch Softball Glove Series
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
Best First Baseman Gloves for Softball
|Glove Name||Web Style||Price||Durability||Rating|
|Rawlings Liberty Advanced Fastpitch Softball Glove||Looped modified trap-eze web and finger shift||$$||High-quality full-grain leather and Poron XRD palm padding||4.5/5|
|Rawlings Shut Out Softball Glove Series||Basket web||$||Full-grain leather and zero shock palm padding||4/5|
|Guerrero RL-35 First Base Mitt 14″ Right Hand Throw||Single post web||$$$||Hand-crafted with quality Guerrero materials||4/5|
|Shoeless Joe Women’s Fastpitch Softball First Base Glove 13-Inch Right Hand Throw||Modified trapeze web||$$||Special aged antique tobacco leather||4/5|
|Easton Professional Collection Fastpitch Softball Glove Series||Single post web||$$$||Premium Reserve USA steer hide leather and professional grade USA-tanned rawhide lace||4.5/5|
Looking for a comfortable and durable first baseman glove softball? The Rawlings Liberty Advanced Fastpitch Softball Glove is a great option for avid players from high school to the pros.
- Designed for first base players, providing an improved level of control and comfort.
- Quality full-grain leather adds durability and a comfortable feel.
- Pull-strap closures allow each player to find the perfect fit to their hand.
- Some players may find the break-in period to be longer than expected.
- The finger shift may take some getting used to for players who are accustomed to a different design.
- The glove may be a bit heavy for some players.
This glove is designed for the hand size of the female athlete, providing an improved level of control and comfort. It features a looped modified trap-eze web and finger shift, along with quality full-grain leather and Poron XRD palm padding. The pull-strap back and closure make it easy to find the perfect fit, and the glove is quick and easy to break in.
If you’re looking for a high-quality and comfortable first baseman glove softball, the Rawlings Liberty Advanced Fastpitch Softball Glove is definitely worth considering. It’s designed to help you stretch, scoop, and field throws better than ever before, and it’s ideal for avid players from high school to the pros.
If you’re looking for a softball glove that’s specifically designed for female athletes, the Rawlings Shut Out Softball Glove Series is a great option.
- The glove is designed to fit the hand size of female athletes, providing a comfortable and controlled feel.
- An adjustable Velcro strap allows for a custom fit on any female hand size.
- The glove is made with full-grain leather for enhanced durability and zero shock palm padding for enhanced impact protection.
- The glove may require some break-in time before it’s fully game-ready.
- This glove is designed for first baseman only.
- The glove is only available in one color (black/white).
This softball glove is a great option for female athletes looking for a comfortable and controlled feel. The adjustable Velcro strap allows for a custom fit on any female hand size, and the full-grain leather provides enhanced durability. However, the glove may require some break-in time before it’s fully game-ready, and it’s only available in one color.
Looking for a TRUE 14″ 1st-Base Mitt? The Guerrero RL-35 First Base Mitt is a 14-inch WHOPPER that is perfect for reaching that tough throw and locking it away for the out.
- The scoop on this mitt is enormous and wraps that softball completely.
- This mitt is awesome for reaching that tough throw and locking it away for the out.
- The mitt is hand-crafted with quality Guerrero materials.
- Breaking in the mitt can be tough.
- The mitt is enormous, so it may not be the best choice for players with smaller hands.
- The mitt is a bit pricey compared to other first baseman gloves.
This Guerrero First Base Mitt is perfect for players looking for a glove that can handle tough throws and lock them away for the out. The mitt is hand-crafted with quality Guerrero materials and has an enormous scoop that wraps the softball completely. However, breaking in the mitt can be tough, and the mitt is quite large, which may not be ideal for players with smaller hands. Additionally, the mitt is a bit pricey compared to other first baseman gloves.
If you’re looking for a high-quality softball first baseman glove, the Shoeless Joe Women’s Fastpitch Softball First Base Glove 13-Inch Right Hand Throw is a great option.
- Made from special aged antique tobacco leather that looks and feels amazing.
- Individually hand-cut and sewn for a unique look and feel.
- Adjustable wrist strap for a comfortable, secure fit.
- Takes some time to break in before it’s game-ready.
- Not as soft as other Shoeless Jane gloves.
- Some customers received gloves for the wrong hand.
This glove is made from top-quality materials and is designed to last for many seasons. It has an adjustable wrist strap for a comfortable, secure fit and is hand-cut and sewn for a unique look and feel.
The only downside is that it takes some time to break in before it’s game-ready, but once it’s broken in, it’s a great glove to use on the field. Some customers have also reported that it’s not as soft as other Shoeless Jane gloves and that they received gloves for the wrong hand, so be sure to double-check your order before purchasing.
If you’re a female softball player looking for a high-quality first baseman glove, the Easton Professional Collection Fastpitch Softball Glove Series is a great choice.
- Designed to fit the fastpitch softball athlete with a smaller hand
- Premium Reserve USA steer hide leather and professional grade USA-tanned rawhide lace for an elite level glove
- Quantum Closure System with an adjustable open back allows for a comfortable and secure fit while playing
- Takes some work to break in
- May be too expensive for some budgets
- Left-hand throw only
This glove is made with premium materials and designed specifically for female softball players. Its Quantum Closure System ensures a comfortable and secure fit, and the premium steer hide leather and pro grade rawhide laces make it a durable and long-lasting option.
The only downsides are that it may take some time to break in and that it’s a bit pricey compared to some other options on the market. However, if you’re looking for a top-of-the-line first baseman glove, this one is definitely worth considering.
When it comes to choosing a first baseman glove for softball, there are a few key factors to consider to ensure you get the best product for your needs.
Size and Fit
First and foremost, you need to find a glove that fits your hand comfortably. A glove that is too small or too large can hinder your performance on the field. Measure your hand and look for gloves that match those measurements. It’s also important to consider the position you’ll be playing and the type of ball you’ll be catching. Some gloves are designed specifically for fastpitch or slowpitch softball, while others are more versatile.
Webbing and Pocket
The webbing and pocket of a first baseman glove are also important factors to consider. The webbing should be sturdy and durable, and the pocket should be deep enough to securely catch the ball. Some gloves come with closed webbing, while others have open webbing that allows for better visibility. Consider your personal preference and the requirements of your position when choosing a glove.
Material and Durability
The material of the glove is another important factor to consider. Leather gloves are the most common and durable option, but they can be more expensive. Synthetic materials are more affordable, but may not last as long. Look for gloves with reinforced stitching and padding in high-use areas for added durability.
Finally, consider any additional features that may be important to you. Some gloves come with adjustable wrist straps for a more customized fit, while others have extra padding for added protection. Look for gloves with features that align with your personal preferences and needs on the field.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the ideal size for a men’s softball first base glove?
The ideal size for a men’s softball first base glove is between 12.5 and 14 inches. However, it ultimately depends on the player’s preference and hand size.
Why is a special glove needed for playing first base?
A special glove is needed for playing first base because it has a unique design that allows the player to scoop up ground balls and catch throws more easily. The glove is larger and has a deeper pocket than a regular fielding glove.
What are some popular brands for softball first base gloves?
Some popular brands for softball first base gloves include Rawlings, Wilson, Mizuno, and Easton.
Hunter Tierney is a passionate writer, loving dad, and true sports fanatic. His experience helping his two daughters through softball, in addition to playing baseball at the collegiate level, gives him a fresh perspective on all things softball. He earned his business degree from the University of Phoenix where he also took writing and journalism courses.